Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 298
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Gary Johnson Of Glaswerks Amps Is A Genius!

  1. #11
    Tag
    Tag is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,094

    Re: Gary Johnson Of Glaswerks Amps Is A Genius!

    Quote Originally Posted by DMC View Post

    Throw the boost switches and interstage gain pots on the back into the mix and the sky's the limit, but I left those in my "stock" settings for now, although the Mid Boost has peaked my interest once again! Kudos to Gary for creating an amp that can truly be just about anything to any body seeking the best of the best Dumble tones and far beyond!

    I just CANT let claims like this go. You say this, but have never even played a single Dumble amp. I had the SOD1 and SOD 2, and with all the switches, bells and whistles, I found stock Dumbles (including mine) give you more tonal flexibility. Like all amps I have played with so many features, the switches knobs and configurations give you slight variations on the same basic tone. If you like that basic tone, GREAT! If you do not, its of little help. I did not find the GW to sound very much like the many Dumbles I have played. I think its an excellent amp, but not one of closest to Dumble amps tones if thats what you are looking for. Mine is below and was A/bd with the Dumble for several months.


    VERY GOOD, VERY GOOD!!

  2. #12
    Moderator J.T. Guitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,967

    Re: Gary Johnson Of Glaswerks Amps Is A Genius!

    Quote Originally Posted by DMC View Post
    Don't you have a SOD II of some kind now or am I thinking of someone else??? But, ya, Phat Momma sounds good!
    Unfortunately I had to sell due to financial constraints... but will again someday.
    At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you. Criss Jami

  3. #13
    DMC
    DMC is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    500

    Re: Gary Johnson Of Glaswerks Amps Is A Genius!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tag View Post
    I just CANT let claims like this go. You say this, but have never even played a single Dumble amp.
    And, by the same token, you have never played the amp, cab and speakers that Robben Ford played in the studio on Politician, yet you claim that your TKT181 sounds exactly like it. Why are you applying standards to ME that you don't apply to YOURSELF?

    So, in actuality, you have made your claims based upon the same things I have made mine - a combination of live experience and recordings!

    So, using YOUR standards, anyone can easily hear in the clips below that the SOD2 sounds every bit a good as - and every bit as Dumbly as - a real Dumble, even despite the fact that they are two very different circuit architectures. In fact, I hear more sustain, chirp, dynamics, complexity and tendency to feed back in the SOD2. Both are equally smooth and totally lacking in fizz. I hear more of all the RF nuances that I associate with HIS Dumble tone on tunes like Worried Down Blues than I do in the real Dumble below, although in an absolute sense, I love both tone. So, there's just no merit in your slam against the SOD2 as being "nothing" like a real Dumble. It very much IS!

    http://www.scottlernermusic.com/dumb...183AtLast2.mp3
    http://www.scottlernermusic.com/dumb...OD2AtLast1.mp3
    Last edited by DMC; 04-23-2012 at 02:10 PM.

  4. #14
    DMC
    DMC is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    500

    Re: Gary Johnson Of Glaswerks Amps Is A Genius!

    Quote Originally Posted by J.T. Guitar View Post
    Unfortunately I had to sell due to financial constraints... but will again someday.
    Damn, sorry to hear that. I do hope you end up with another one someday. I am with you on the pedals/Germino things ALL THE WAY, but the variety of having both ends of the spectrum is something I really love. A great amp is a great amp!

  5. #15
    Tag
    Tag is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,094

    Re: Gary Johnson Of Glaswerks Amps Is A Genius!

    Quote Originally Posted by DMC View Post
    And, by the same token, you have never played the amp, cab and speakers that Robben Ford played in the studio on Politician, yet you claim that your TKT181 sounds exactly like it. Why are you applying standards to ME that you don't apply to YOURSELF?

    So, in actuality, you have made your claims based upon the same things I have made mine - a combination of live experience and recordings!

    So, using YOUR standards, anyone can easily hear in the clips below that the SOD2 sounds every bit a good as - and every bit as Dumbly as - a real Dumble, even despite the fact that they are two very different circuit architectures. In fact, I hear more sustain, chirp, dynamics, complexity and tendency to feed back in the SOD2. Both are equally smooth and totally lacking in fizz. I hear more of all the RF nuances that I associate with HIS Dumble tone on tunes like Worried Down Blues than I do in the real Dumble below, although in an absolute sense, I love both tone. So, there's just no merit in your slam against the SOD2 as being "nothing" like a real Dumble. It very much IS!

    http://www.scottlernermusic.com/dumb...183AtLast2.mp3
    http://www.scottlernermusic.com/dumb...OD2AtLast1.mp3

    Dave. You have yet to play a single Dumble. You simply have no idea what you are talking about. Thats not a subjective call, thats a fact. Thats like a guy owning some Marshall knock off and claiming its better that any Marshall, although he has never even PLAYED a Marshall. Its actual insane IMO. Give it a rest.
    VERY GOOD, VERY GOOD!!

  6. #16
    Moderator J.T. Guitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,967

    Re: Gary Johnson Of Glaswerks Amps Is A Genius!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tag View Post
    Dave. You have yet to play a single Dumble. You simply have no idea what you are talking about. Thats not a subjective call, thats a fact. Thats like a guy owning some Marshall knock off and claiming its better that any Marshall, although he has never even PLAYED a Marshall. Its actual insane IMO. Give it a rest.
    Every Dumble is different... You even admit that Tag. Some are stellar, some are crapola. So, I don't see how playing one or two makes someone an expert on all things Dumble. I have a friend that owns 3 Dumbles... and 2 Bludos. He loves them all, but plays the Bludos most often. Does that mean he doesn't know crap about Dumbles?

    It's an amp... wiring circuits and aging parts. In 100 years, no one will care.
    At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you. Criss Jami

  7. #17
    DMC
    DMC is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Tag

    Dave. You have yet to play a single Dumble. You simply have no idea what you are talking about. Thats not a subjective call, thats a fact. Thats like a guy owning some Marshall knock off and claiming its better that any Marshall, although he has never even PLAYED a Marshall. Its actual insane IMO. Give it a rest.
    And you have NEVER played the amp that Robben played on MM, yet you claim that every amp you've owned - when they were your current amp - sounded exactly like it. How insane is that? That's "not a subjective call, that's a fact". If anyone needs to give this particular argument a rest, it is you. Scott's high quality clips clearly show that a number of clones sound just as good as or better than some Dumbles and with zero so-called "clone haze", although I have indeed heard that fizz in some clones, but not the SOD2, which is smoother than my Quinn.

  8. #18
    DMC
    DMC is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by J.T. Guitar

    Every Dumble is different... You even admit that Tag. Some are stellar, some are crapola. So, I don't see how playing one or two makes someone an expert on all things Dumble. I have a friend that owns 3 Dumbles... and 2 Bludos. He loves them all, but plays the Bludos most often. Does that mean he doesn't know crap about Dumbles?

    It's an amp... wiring circuits and aging parts. In 100 years, no one will care.
    Well, exactly. The hype and exclusivity thing is just getting out of control. It's like there's no attention being paid to reality anymore. In studio quality recordings, the environment where PROS care most, many of the clones easily hang with or surpass the best Dumbles. I would have to lie to myself to say otherwise. The clips don't lie!!!

  9. #19
    Tag
    Tag is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,094

    Re: Gary Johnson Of Glaswerks Amps Is A Genius!

    Quote Originally Posted by J.T. Guitar View Post
    Every Dumble is different... You even admit that Tag. Some are stellar, some are crapola. So, I don't see how playing one or two makes someone an expert on all things Dumble. I have a friend that owns 3 Dumbles... and 2 Bludos. He loves them all, but plays the Bludos most often. Does that mean he doesn't know crap about Dumbles?

    It's an amp... wiring circuits and aging parts. In 100 years, no one will care.

    Playing one or 2 does not. Playing NONE means you have NO idea. I have played around a dozen of them, and rented three or four for hours at a time to directly compare to other amps and clones, with head switchers, different cabs and speakers (Including a Dumble cab) Dumbleator and 2 trainwrecks. Most ODS are not ALL that much different. Some have certain little tweaks that make them sound a little different than others. Some are almost exactly the same, and a few are totally off the wall. Fords BL amp, Carltons old one, the tan one at ultra, another one ultra had a long time ago, ( the hawiian Dumble maybe?) and 183 are all pretty darn similar sonically.

    regarding your friend, I am sure there are guys who like TwoRocks, Marshalls, Bludos, Fenders, Trainwrecks, GWs and every other amp on the face of the earth more than Dumbles. So what?? It does not mean they sound like Dumbles.
    VERY GOOD, VERY GOOD!!

  10. #20
    Tag
    Tag is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,094

    Re: Gary Johnson Of Glaswerks Amps Is A Genius!

    Quote Originally Posted by DMC View Post
    It's like there's no attention being paid to reality anymore.

    When someone who has never played a single Dumble rambles on about ANY amp giving the BEST Dumble tones, that is EXACTLY what is happening.
    VERY GOOD, VERY GOOD!!

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •